Back in 1959, Carmine Magazino wrote his first editorial for The Clinton News on the topic of the Bronx High School of Science’s impending move to a new building down Mosholu Parkway South. DeWitt Clinton students worried that with a new school nearby, new rules would be created that would restrict them from coming and going from their open campus.
Mr. Magazino, who graduated in 1959, urged his peers to welcome the newcomers.
Nearly 55 years later, a similar editorial appeared in the April 30, 2013 Clinton News, prodding students not to be discouraged by the two new high schools slated to co-locate in their building next fall, but rather to focus on contributing to the school’s storied history.
After 100 years, The Clinton News’ sprawling typeface on the cover of the DeWitt Clinton High School paper remains a familiar sight to students and alumni alike. They left the paper’s centennial celebration on April 30 marveling that the same staple budget and student government articles, sports stories and precise, concise wording printed in 1913 still leave their mark on the paper’s pages today.
“There was a lot of formality in it, just straight, hard news, no pictures. But the writing was beautiful. It was so neat and smooth,” said the paper’s current editor-in-chief Jasely Molina. “It’s an honor that Clinton has gone through so many hardships and to know that the newspaper can stand all of that.”
Close to 75 people attended the anniversary bash in the school library, some flying from as far as England and Nevada, according to retired teacher Gerard Pelisson. The so-called “newsers” honored four former teachers who supervised The Clinton News –– Louis Simon, Ada Chirles Hon, Anne Mercer-Micera and Sylvia Philip. The crowd heard from Mr. Simon and Sol Stein, a 1942 alumnus who published James Baldwin’s work.
Between perusing the archives, attendees learned the history of The Clinton News from Mr. Pelisson, who published a book documenting the school’s history.