Grayson, thieves make Skyview deli a victim


Fierce winter weather slowed business across the city last week, but for the employees of Skyview Cafe and Delicatessen at 5691 Riverdale Ave., the bad luck didn’t end there. 

The cafe closed early at around 4 p.m., the day of the storm, the employee told police. When that same employee returned bright and early the next morning just before 6, he found someone broke through the security gate, entered the store, and took the cash register containing $300 as well as $2,000 from an open safe.

The thief then fled through a rear exit, police said, register in tow.

Luckily for cops, security cameras captured the heist, and the New York Police Department described the alleged perpetrator as 50 years old, 5-feet-10, and 150 pounds. Photos on a poster from the NYPD show a hooded fellow sporting a goatee and a winter coat, while Skyview deli owner Shahid Shamraz — who also reviewed the footage — said the suspect used what appeared to be a wire-cutter to penetrate the gate.

Police are still investigating the burglary.


Rover roves ranges unknown

No rest for the busy car thieves of the northwest Bronx these days where even on major holidays, it’s business as usual.

A 43-year-old man told police he parked his gray 2007 Range Rover on the 2800 block of Bailey Avenue around lunchtime Christmas Eve. When he returned around 2:30 p.m., on Dec. 26, it was gone.

A canvass of the area turned up nothing, and police said there were no nearby cameras that could’ve helped spot whoever may have taken the Rover for a joyride.

Although detectives have concluded their investigation, police remain on the lookout for the luxury SUV, which they valued at $12,000.


New Year’s Day DWI

No harm in a toast to ring in the new year, but this guy probably wishes he’d partied a little less hard on the eve of 2018.

He was reportedly still feeling the pain New Year’s Day around 2 p.m., when police spotted him on the 2800 block of University Avenue, passed out behind the wheel of a 2015 Toyota Sedan with the keys in the ignition. 

The man lived in the building in front of which he was parked, but no word from cops on whether he was coming or going.

With bloodshot eyes and breath reeking of booze, the 23-year-old man was unsteady on his feet and slurred his speech, police said. He submitted to a Breathalyzer, blowing a reported 0.15 percent blood alcohol content — nearly twice the legal limit.

Cops arrested the man, charging him with driving while intoxicated.

Two guys, one joint, under arrest

High times for a couple of buddies bonding over bud did not end well.

Their late-night blaze was snuffed out around 10 p.m., on Jan. 3 when cops spotted one of the alleged smokers on the 2800 block of Claflin Avenue brazenly puffing on a marijuana cigarette before passing it to his pal.

Police arrested the men, both in their 20s, and charged them with criminal possession of marijuana.


Cops nab alleged drill thief

A 38-year-old man probably was at a loss for how he’d make holes after someone took two of his power drills, valued by police at $600, stashed in the basement of a building on the 2700 block of Webb Avenue.

No word from cops on how the alleged drill stealer entered, or any damage to the building. While the victim lived in the area, police said, he didn’t reside in the building where the tools were taken.

If the alleged perp had grand plans to drill his way deep into 2018, he didn’t get far. 

With the help of security camera footage, cops tracked down a 26-year-old man, who was arrested Jan. 7 and charged with burglary.


Cash, cards, earrings taken

The new year did not start well for a 32-year-old woman who left her car on the 3100 block of Sedgwick Avenue on the morning of Dec. 30. 

When she returned Jan.1 after visiting her cousin, she found the interior of her gray 2008 Mercury Mariner in disarray, police said. Her wallet, which contained $14 cash as well as credit cards, a Social Security card, and a pair of gold earrings valued at $50, also were missing.

Cops reported no apparent damage to the vehicle and suspect the victim may have left the doors unlocked. They’re still investigating this grand larceny.