Eighth graders getting ready to apply for high school have a chance to learn more about the process — and what to expect — during an admissions fair Saturday, Oct. 5 and Sunday, Oct. 6 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the 2474 Crotona Ave., location of Grace H. Dodge Educational Campus.
There, both students and parents can meet with representatives from various Bronx high schools, and take part in a workshop on the high school application process.
Councilman Fernando Cabrera has pushed through a resolution through the city council that would ban processed meats from lunches served in public schools.
That means everything from deli meat to cold cuts to pepperoni could be banned from school menus, as they are classified as carcinogens by the World Health Organization.
“We know from research that kids who start eating a healthy diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds have improved test scores, attention spans and energy levels,” said Cabrera, whose district covers parts of Kingsbridge, in a release. “With so many kids getting most of their food in school, the solution seems obvious.”
Getting into high school should be a little easier. At least Mayor Bill de Blasio thinks so.
Last month, the mayor said the process for applying to high schools is changing, allowing the 80,000 eighth graders applying for schools — including specialized ones like Bronx Science — to select more than one at a time.
In the past, students were just matched to one high school selection. But under the new process, eighth graders who don’t get into their first choice will automatically be placed on a waitlist for their next choice.
City council members have called on chancellor Richard Carranza to order testing of common spaces in all schools, including hallways and auditoriums.
Initial tests found more than 900 pre-K and kindergarten classrooms were exposed to lead, and lawmakers believe there could be more.