Fight ends the life of a 26-year-old



A night on the town ended in death for 26-year-old Anthony Ramirez after a brutal fight outside a local bar, despite the efforts of Allen Hospital doctors who struggled in vain to save the young man’s life, his father said.

 Police say they have a video showing Mr. Ramirez leaving the  Bridge Tavern — a local watering hole at 5757 Broadway — at 4:20 a.m. on Aug. 28.   

According to his father, Orlando Ramirez, who said he heard the story from his son’s friend, Anthony Ramirez stepped outside to play a game of cards with some acquaintances and got into an argument with them that wound up in a fist fight. 

A bartender from the Bridge Tavern, who did not want to be named for fear of being fired and was not on duty that night, said that the incident took place at least 40 minutes after the bar closed. 

Mr. Ramirez’s friend called for help when he noticed the young man unconscious where the fight occurred, two blocks from the bar behind 3425 Kingsbridge Ave.

He was taken to the NewYork-Presbyterian/The Allen Hospital with severe sustained brain injuries, lacerations on the back of his head and bruising on his shoulders, police said. 

At the hospital, Mr. Ramirez underwent three brain surgeries before dying Sunday at approximately 8 p.m. from heart failure, according to his father.

On Aug. 23, police arrested Adam Reed, 33, for attempted murder. Following Mr. Ramirez’s recent death, police have changed Mr. Reed’s charge to second-degree murder. 

Vincent Guttilla, 31, turned himself in Monday under the guidance of an attorney, saying he was also involved in Anthony Ramirez’s murder. He, too, is being charged with murder in the second degree. 

The witness in the case, who was a friend of Mr. Ramirez, has been in the psychiatric ward of The Allen Hospital since his friend died Sunday.  

The murder marks the second in the 50th Precinct this year. The first murder victim, Hwang Yang, was also 26. 

Capt. Kevin Burke, commander of 50th Precinct, responded to questions about this year’s murders by saying, “Both murders have essentially been solved,” he said. “It’s unfortunate it was a murder.”

Page 1 / 2