Police Beat

Lock damaged, cash gone, burglar on lam


The money’s gone — that, one man is sure of.  And it was a hefty wad of cash at that. 

But what’s still unknown is where the money went, or who took it.

A 45-year-old told cops someone entered through the front door of his apartment, damaging it and the lock, on the 3000 block of Heath Avenue around 3:30 p.m., on Jan. 9. 

They took $4,500 cash from the apartment and fled, police said. 

There were cameras in the building, so detectives could avail themselves of the footage in tracking down the mystery perp. But as of now, there is no description or any additional details.

Police are still investigating.


Cops foil iPhone steal

Now, whenever he’s out working on his jump shot, this young ballplayer probably will watch his back — and not just for defenders trying to steal the ball.

A 13-year-old boy told police he’d just come from shooting hoops when a couple of slightly older dudes confronted him at around 8:30 p.m., on Jan. 11 on the northeast corner of Tibbett Avenue and West 238th Street. They demanded he hand over his iPhone and tried to take it. When the boy refused, they started pummeling him, according to police, breaking his glasses and cutting his left eye.

Not only did the young roughnecks fail to steal the phone — they got caught.

Police arrested two juveniles, a 14- and a 15-year-old, who were charged with attempted robbery. 


Cops end joyride

At least one Audi owner probably learned a lesson or two last week — you can’t trust anyone these days, even people you know. And, don’t leave your car keys where others can take them.

A 33-year-old man told cops an acquaintance of his scooped the keys to his silver 2008 Audi from his apartment at around 2 a.m., on Jan. 11, and then took the luxury vehicle for an early-morning joyride.

No word from police on where the guy drove to, but he couldn’t have gotten too far, and the car’s temporary New Jersey plates probably helped them track him down.

The joy came to an end when cops nabbed the unruly driver at the northeast corner of Bailey Avenue and West 238th Street just 24 hours later.

He was arrested and charged with unauthorized use of a vehicle.


Division of labor

He might not have suspected anything at the time, but in hindsight probably wishes he’d been more on-guard.

A 56-year-old man told police he was walking home from the train station when he passed three other guys a little after midnight on Jan. 11 on the northwest corner of Kingsbridge Avenue and West 234th Street.

One of them grabbed the poor fellow, holding a sharp metal object to the back of his neck, police said, but couldn’t specify whether it was a knife, razor or some other kind of weapon. Meanwhile, the weapon-wielder’s accomplice reached in and snatched the victim’s cell phone and wallet from his pocket, while the third guy stood watch as a lookout.

Police could only provide a description of one member of the terrorizing trio — he was tall, 6-foot-3, they said. 

Ultimately, the partners in crime made away with the man’s iPhone 6, which police valued at $650, along with his wallet, and banking and insurance cards, leaving the victim unharmed.

Cops are calling the case a robbery, and it’s still open.