Slasher indicted, tries to escape


The man who allegedly tried to kill his own son and stepdaughter in a May domestic dispute in Kingsbridge was indicted on a litany of charges — including attempted murder, Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark announced June 25.

Carlos Camilo, 43, is accused of trying to kill his 12-year-old son and teen stepdaughter in his Irwin Avenue home in late May by slashing their necks with a knife. But even after he was in custody, Clark revealed Camilo tried to escape at one point, allegedly assaulting two corrections officers at St. Barnabas Hospital in Belmont. One officer suffered a large gash on his head after Camilo allegedly hit him over the head with a pipe.

The DA’s office says Camilo attacked the children May 28 after their mother revealed she wanted to end their relationship. He slit the throat of his son as the 12-year-old lay in bed, Clark said. Camilo then allegedly entered the bathroom where his 18-year-old stepdaughter was showering, pinned her against the wall and slashed her throat.

The mother and her children were able to escape to the nearby 50th Precinct station house thanks to a passerby who saw them run out of their Kingsbridge home, police said at the time.

The children were rushed to Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in Inwood and treated for their injuries.

Camilo barricaded himself in his home and slashed himself, but police arrested him after a brief standoff.

Camilo was indicted on charges of second-degree attempted murder, attempted escape, assault, attempted assault, menacing, child endangerment, criminal possession of a weapon, resisting arrest and obstructing governmental administration.

Camilo is currently in Bellevue Hospital’s prison ward and is due back in court Nov. 6. His court-appointed attorney could not be reached for comment.


Horace Mann teen student still missing

An incoming senior at Horace Mann School left his Henry Hudson Parkway home around dinnertime June 13, police said, and never returned.

Authorities are trying to locate Max Chung, 17, who was last spotted by a security camera entering the subway at the Port Authority that same day.

There has been no sign of him since.

Chung left home without his phone or his wallet after an argument with his father, family friend Carol Kim said on behalf of Chung’s father. She described the fight as a typical one between a parent and a teenager.

“Max is a great kid,” Kim said. His father raised him alone after his mother left when he was a toddler. Chung’s mother lives in South Korea, according to Kim, and Chung did not leave home with a passport or enough money to pay for a plane ticket overseas.

Max is a regular teenager with a “big personality,” Kim said. He loves to play video games with his friends, is a talented pianist, and has a knack for card tricks. At Horace Mann, he was studious with a group of close friends.

Many of those friends were out of town when he disappeared, as school was let out the week before. He turned 17 on June 7, just six days before he ran away.

“We’re really trying our best to get Max home,” Kim added. In the weeks that followed his disappearance, police have expanded their search outside the five boroughs.

Both his family and the police are monitoring Chung’s known social media accounts, all of which remained inactive since June 13.

This isn’t the first time Chung disappeared. He also left home in January, Kim said, riding the subways for a night before police found him in a downtown bookstore.

The NYPD missing persons unit and Rydan Security & Investigations, a private security firm hired by the family, are pursuing the investigation.

Anyone with information Chung’s whereabouts can contact police at (212) 694-7781.