Too soon for debate?
By Adam Wisnieski
City Council candidates Cliff Stanton and Andrew Cohen disagree on whether it’s too soon for a debate.
Last week, Mr. Stanton’s campaign invited Mr. Cohen to a public debate on Monday, April 29. There were no specific details about who would moderate or where the debate would be held, but Jennifer Firestone of Mr. Stanton’s campaign said the invitation was meant to refocus the campaign on the issues.
Mr. Cohen said he does not think debating so soon is realistic.
“Historically, these debates are being done closer to the primary,” Mr. Cohen said. “But we’ll definitely debate as we get closer.”
Though there was a chance the primary date would be moved up to June, it looks like it will be in September, as usual.
Mr. Cohen also said he thinks Mr. Stanton is using the debate invitation to gain attention.
“I think it’s just an attempt to draw some attention to his campaign,” Mr. Cohen said.
Mr. Stanton countered back, saying he thinks the time is right.
“It’s something that I think would be valuable for the public. I don’t think it’s too early for them to start paying attention,” Mr. Stanton said. “If he is content with having people tune out, that’s unfortunate. I think he’s got as much interest as having people tune in as I do.”
We’ll keep you posted.
Don’t close the Post Office
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. and other Bronx electeds object to the United States Postal Service’s plan to sell the historic Bronx General Post Office and relocate the retail services available at the site.
Bronxites spoke in opposition to the plan at a public hearing on Feb. 6, a Wednesday, at 10 a.m., but the electeds want an evening hearing so more people can let the Post Office know that they still use the facility.
Keywordscity council, andrew cohen, cliff stanton, debate, charles rangel, post office, ruben diaz jr., scott stringer, malcolm smith,